Friday, June 01, 2007

Just Another Day In.........Paradise?

(Rob speaking)

No one has guessed Laura's correct age yet. Stop being so kind!

Well I think I'm ready to go shoe shopping. Yes, that's correct, shoe shopping. I'm hoping to find some ruby red slippers to I can click my heels together 3 times and say, "There's no place like home." It's been 2 weeks and I'm ready to go. I know Dale, you were here for 6 weeks, I'll gladly concede that you are better than me if I can actually fly out next Saturday(6/9). So.........Travis and Mayra, that means clean the house, wash the cars, cut the grass, and anything else you think I might think of. Crystal, I'll be home to wish you happy birthday, but Laura may not make it in time.

Well, we went to see our little one today. His orphanage had a special production for summer. His group didn't participate, but the ones who did were really cute. They had kids dressed like sailors, Kasaks, hula dancers, flower children, and strawberries. There must be some strawberry celebration because I saw a guy at the grocery store dressed like a strawberry, I felt better after I saw what he was wearing. They actually had water in the swimming pool today, but I could tell that they are sticktly forbidden to play in the water. So, what do you think we had him do? That's right, play in the water. We only let him put his hands in, but we splashed and giggled, and splashed and giggled some more. He did manage to get his whole front wet and throw his hat in the pool. When we took him back wet, I tried to tell the workers that the bad momma did it, but I didn't get my point across. It was actually me who was the culprit.... are you surprised? He really enjoyed the water, and so did we because it was a real scorcher today.

We got to take the water thing to the next level when we went to see the oldest one. Igor had a great idea to see if they would let us take him down to the river where the older kids go to swim. They gave us permission and we set out to get wet. The water was awesome, not too cold, not too warm. I don't think our little man had been swimming before because he was quite scared of getting into the water. He wouldn't jump off the dock, even though we showed him he could stand up, so we took him to a spot where he could walk in. We finally convinced him that it was safe to ride on my back, and after I convinced him that he really didn't need to keep me in a choke hold we were good to go. He seemed to have a great time as did we, and I think he was a little sad that we had to say good bye. I went and played a little with Igor and the older kids and Laura got to spend some good quality time with him. That made her feel good. When momma feels good......everyone feels good.

I have some international traveling tips for those who care to read it. When traveling in a foreign country where you don't speak the language and hand guestures don't seem to work well or be appropriate, this is most important. If you feel the slightest discomfort in your stomach, don't leave the place where you're positive there is a bathroom available. It's about a 2 mile walk from the internet cafe of our choice to our apartment. Not too far into our walk last night I got a case of the Terrible Ivan's. Don't ask what it is......you don't want to know. What a miserable walk home. I made it, intact, no accidents, but a Taxi would have helped a lot. I promptly took some vitamin I,(Immodium) but before I went to bed I got the chills and shakes that were almost like convulsions. I fully expected to be layed up for a day or two with some kind of food borne illness, but when I woke up, I was fine. Who ever was praying for our health yesterday, thank you, it worked.

(Laura)
Yep, mama feels good today! Laughs and giggles from 2 of my boys and a particularly good visit with the oldest. I think he finally trusts me (at least a little) and we had a great time playing with the machinas (cars) after he finally let me (although very reluctantly) take him out over his head in the water to papa. At first he wanted us both and had a big grin on his face being between us and then he was content to ride on papas back. He talked up a storm today and showed me what he meant when he knew I didn't understand. We watched papa play with some of the older kids and he even held my hand for a while. :) He shared his snack evenly with me right down to squishing a melting M&M so we would each have half. And yes, I had to eat it even though his hands were filthy and it really didn't look very appetizing even though it was chocolate. Did I really say that? Chocolate, not appetizing. Well as you see, I ate it anyway so there you go. I did bring some Cipro so if the water didn't have parasites and the dirt I ate with my M&M didn't have anything and the scrape I got on my leg from the glass in the grass doesn't get me then I am invinceable! Pray pray pray
I would do it all over again if I knew I would get the same results though. My little boy actually trusts me a little and wants to talk to me all the time! Woohoo!!! We didn't get any pictures of the visit with the oldest because I was too busy enjoying him and Rob was playing with some of the older kids so our recollection will have to do for now.

Tune in tomorrow for the much awaited pictures!!!! We just can't wait any longer.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Laura, a few more days and your oldest son will LOVE you. How can he resist you and how can he over ride all the prays that are being prayed for him. We will continue covering you guys with the Blood of Jesus to protect you from illness, cuts, bad food or dirt. Adopting little ones has all new challenges.
Love
Fran

Anonymous said...

I was tickled pink when I read the first line of your post Laura ! I know this is just great testimony to HOW GREAT OUR GOD IS ! I can't wait to see pictures of the little angels. I am going to guess your age again and say 41 ! I remembered you had a BIG one not too long ago.
Love to you both,
Suzanne

The Schweickerts said...

I'm so excited to see you blog everyday. Looking forward to seeing pics and hearing the good news of a successful court dates!
Your Williamsburg adoption families continue to lift you up.
We love you!
Kathie Schweickert

Okay...since I was so good the first time around...I'll say 42!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rob and Laura - it's your friends in Poltava! Glad to hear that you all are bonding with the boys more! God has led you to these boys and they are the right ones for you, so be of good cheer! He will overcome all.

Grant and Suzanne

Anonymous said...

OK, Rob, I can't stand it any longer. I do know Laura's age but I have held back because you told me to. But you're over there and I'm here so I can probably get by with it. She is a very young, vibrant, energetic 4_, right? She had a big one last year, so everyone can do the math. We can't wait to see the pictures of your new sons; post them as soon as you can. We're still praying for everything to move along quickly so your family can get back to the states and settle down. Take care.
Love,
Christine & Darryl

Anonymous said...

Rob and Laura,
It is so awesome to hear how a family is being created as we read your blog. I know that each moment spent with the boys will help you each to grow in love and commitment to each other and when you return the rest of your wonderful family will be ready to bond as well.
May God continue to bless your journey and keep you safe.
Love,
Beverly and Gary

Unknown said...

Laura & Rob, we are right there with you and praying daily for you. Rob, good thing you brought vitamin I,(Immodium)and Laura, it was worth eating the chocolate! What's a few germs? We continue to pray for the process to be as quick as possible. May God continue to bless you and the boys. What a wonderful adventure.
Blessings,
Debbie & Dale