Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Kiev......It's not just for chicken anymore

The trains here run just like clock work. Right on time.....7:40am and I was getting off the train in Kiev. Yuri was there to meet me and he's probably luck I didn't hug and kiss him. The train ride started out really hot, I had a top bunk in a 4 person compartment with no A/C. But, low and behold the weather changed to be very windy and cool. The temperature probably dropped 20F over what the normal temperature had been, and that made the ride much more comfortable. I always knew I was God's favorite son.

Well I will hang out in Kiev today, go to the embassy and sign my last papers, whew, then I fly back to the Red, White, and Blue tomorrow at 1pm. The Blue and Yellow of Ukraine are very nice, but nothing, and I mean nothing, compares to the Red, White, and Blue. As soon as I land at JFK I'm going to ask the first person I meet to say anything at all to me in English, they may say *&^%**& yourself, but I won't care. I'm going to get myself a big fat salad with lettuce, not just tomatoes, cucumber, dill, parsley, and cheese that we have been getting. I'm also going to get whatever type of soda I want in "DIET", how do they stay so slim without diet soda. Maybe it's a soda conspiracy, you decide. I'm also going to get a TRIPLE VENTI HAZELNUT LATTE from STARBUCKS! When I get back to Williamsburg I'm going to take back my convertible, and enjoy driving for the first time in over a month, even if it's just driving to work (sorry Travis). I'm going to listen to every radio station IN ENGLISH. I am really looking forward to seeing my kids Travis, Crystal, and Mayra. Crystal turns 21 on Friday. How can that be? I am also looking forward to getting back to church, it's been too long.

Here's what I will miss. I will miss my beautiful wife till she comes back. I will miss visiting with the boys, and the other children. I will miss being able to walk to and from the internet cafe with Laura (great conversation time). I will miss the excitement of loging on to the blog to see what comments we received. I will miss the soups. They actually make them from scratch. Yes I can tell, DUH used to be a chef, remember. I will miss the friends we made there, Igor, Yuri, Hunter & Lauri, Giovanni & Maria, Alex & Alicia, Grant & Suzanne. These are friends I hope not to lose touch with.

(without a clever quip to end)

Rob

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob and Laura,
We rejoice with the Lord's work in your lives and the 3 wonderful gifts he has given you. We can't wait to see them and spoil them. Rob, it will be good to have you home on American soil again, and we hope Laura, babuska, and the boys will be following quickly. Our prayers continue to be with you all. We love you.
Darryl, Christine, and girls

Unknown said...

Rob, I had to laugh at your comments about arriving back in the USA and can certainly relate. I also missed Starbucks or at least "real" American coffee. Not the "frothy" kind they serve! How the Lord has blessed you, Laura and your three wonderful boys beyond our comprehension. We look forward to seeing you all and meeting your new family!
God Bless,
Debbie & Dale