Monday, June 25, 2007

Tokmak City

(Laura)
Well I haven't really decided if this can be referred to as a city. We did find accomodations that are suitable in record time. After our first choices were eliminated (one because they had NO water and the other because they charged double for foreigners and Igor was appalled so he went back through the curtain they were using as a door and we left. The taxi drivers were our source for finding a place to stay since there aren't any apartments in this part of nowhere so we found a hotel. We actually have water and our own bathroom in our room #12. Woo hoo! Zapporazhzhia is a happening place compared to here. I thought perhaps we could just ask the person with the most cows in their front yard with collars on if we could stay with them for a coupls of nights. Igor didn't find much humor in that. Sorry Igor.
We got to visit with Victor last night and this morning and they were good visits. He is a very busy little boy. Since we haven't gotten to spend as much time with him we have to start at the beginning with just having him not run away. Yesterday he didn't really recognize me but today he ran over with his WHOLE group and everyone wanted to say hello. Because it is such a rough orphanage we have had to be very careful about playing with the other kids as they get rather violent with people and I didn't want my mom to be in the middle of that. I felt like an ogre having to hollar at them to get away from her but if you play with one then you will get swamped. I haven't minded getting swamped but I know she would have a hard time and would end up having things taken from her.
Victor has the cutest smile and his little voice is so cute. Good pronunciation but not sure if he is actually using correct words for things. His friend Sasha always comes up to me with her arms up in the air to be held or played with. We tried to include her and Igor spent some time with her as well. We did find an internet cafe, as you know, but not sure how to do the pictures so I may have to add those later.
Victor loves to play with the ball and gets a kick out of sending the machina (car) down the slide. He even wanted mama to sit at the top of the slide and he would send the car up. He had a hard time with that part and it sort of flew off the side before reaching the top but he finally got the right combination of strength and accuracy and was very proud of that. Igor and June both think his personallity and looks are more like Vanya but I think he reminds me more of Yuri other than the wiggle worm part. We are working on being more gentle with his things and with other people as well as the sabakas (dogs). He is getting better at trying to wipe off mamas and babushkas face and hands. I think the first time Rob and I almost got black eyes and Igor almost got stabbed so we are making progress. He just loves to hang out with Igor and Sasha seems to want more of my attention. They are both happy and love the snacks we bring and are interested in anything having to do with food. It all goes in their mouths at the same time so we are trying to work on the same things we did with Vanya (chew first, swallow, and then you can have some more) He isn't a big fan of this new process but he will get used to it and probably not choke as often. That would be good.
I saw my favorite older boy there (other than Victor, of course) and he had gotten his head shaved and I thought it was his twin brother. This is a case of the good twin/bad twin so I was a little sceptical at first but it is easy to tell by their actions which one is which. They all left today for camp as well so I won't get to see him again either. What a bummer. He was a good kid.

Thanks to everyone who welcomed Rob home. I know he enjoyed all our church friends yesterday and others who he saw. I continue to love to read the comments and am in awe that so many people from around the country read this. I though it was a great way to have a diary of events but it has proven to be so much more than that. God is good all the time. I love to watch Him at work and am inspired to do whatever it is He has in store for us. The people whose lives have crossed mine and whose paths I've crossed have been a huge blessing.
Keep praying as there are many things that still need to happen before we can leave. Please pray that Yuri understands that I am not leaving without him even though they didn't tell him that when they sent him to camp. Also forVictor that he will start the bonding process and understand that Mama is going to take him to America and that Papa is waiting there for him and his brothers. My little guy Vanya will not have seen me for several days and the other couples say how pitiful he looks when he sees that they are there and we're not. I know a huge hug from him will be able to cure almost anything. Don't worry, Rob, you aren't being replaced. Your hugs are still the best; his just fill a different place in my heart. There's room enough for everyone. You are still my number #1 guy and best friend. I love you and miss you. :)

Ordering the Ruby slippers for a week from Saturday,
Mama

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Laura,sounds like you are enjoying your time and taking advantage of each day the Lord provides. You are truly blessed. Praying for you daily. Great to see Rob yesterday who enjoyed eating his steak and ride to Norfolk in his convertible! We missed you!
God bless,
Debbie