Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Over the hill and far far away






(Laura)
It was a long day today but worth time. We got to see Victor again today and this was a much better visit. He actually listened to us and didn't run away from us until it was time to go inside to eat. Igor confirmed for us that he was saying the correct words when I was pointing to different pictures in a book we had. He speaks so softly it is hard to hear him. Most of the time he doesn't really talk alot but I think the other boys will get him going. He does know his numbers and colors and loves to run around outside and play with the older kids. He really likes his group but he is warming up to us a little bit. He has such a cute smile I could just gobble him up. He will hold my hand while we are walking and sit on our laps for a short time so today was good. Not sure if we are still just the snack people or whether he is getting used to us.
The hat he had on today was hillarious! The sides were folded up and you could see the inside part that goes around your head. That along with the pink sandles, brown shorts and orange patterned shirt was a site. The other kids recognized us and scooped him up right away and brought him to us. He had a smile on his face but wasn't very sure about being picked up.
There was one little girl who always comes over and attaches herself to my legs. Today the teacher promptly removed her and she started to cry. That face was sooooo sad. All I was going to do is hug her but clearly that isn't allowed. The time before I had picked her up and the other kids started hitting her so I knew not to do that again. I get a little cool feeling from that teacher so I'll have to tread lightly next time. She wanted us to take Victor somewhere away from all the other kids but that is hard to do at his orphanage because everything is wide open so the kids follow us anyway.
We have really enjoyed reading all the comments and appreciate everyone keeping up with our journey and praying for us along the way. Colleen, thanks for the comments, prayers, and traveling mercies for my mom and Rob. It's great to connect with you.
On our way back from Victors orphanage today, Igor calmly tells us that our building was on fire today and that it was on the news. No other infomration; that was it! I was freaking out thinkng I had left my curling iron on or something. Dollar signs started racing through my brain as I was thinking how we were going to pay for a whole new aprtment building. Thanks goodness when we got there we found out that it was NOT our apartment but the fire was either on the roof or in another apartment. You could see the left over standing water and smell only a little bit of that ashy smell. The stairway always reaks of cigarette smoke so the ashy smell was a bit of a relief. At least we know a portion of the interior was hosed down!
The next couple of days we will have a regular schedule of seeing Vanya in teh morning and Yuri in the afternoon and then back to see Victor on Saturday. Poor little guy is getting slighted since he is so far away. Being the middle child hasn't been easy for him so far.
The time is seeming to pass so slowly but we are enjoying it for the most part. We know when we get home it will be a much faster pace and the adjustment time might be long so we will enjoy our time here. I really do miss home though. It's like we took a step off the planet and everything stopped. OK, it's not THAT slow here but it's not too far from that. We even got adventurous and tried this drink that is sold along the road in these big yellow barrels. They told us it is not alcoholic and that each one may be a little different but that they are all made of bread. I think they meant yeast but who knows. It says KBAC on the barrel but the taxi driver called it kVas. Another one of those times when you just don't ask! Anyone who hasn't tried it should do so just for the experience. It tasted a little like molasses but was the consistancy of tea. I don't think we really want to know exactly what it was. Suffice to say, we have tried it.
New pictures of Yuri's birthday are on the last post. FYI

Still sitting at the Lord's feet being so thankful for such wonderful blessings!



ps. Rob is getting the diaperhead tomorrow as well as the kvityoubellyakening! FYI

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear everything is OK at your place. I gotta quit reading these blogs :-) you're the 2nd family that has had a fire in their complex while in Ukraine.

The birthday party sounded like a lot of fun. Thanks so much for sharing your story, it gives us hope and we know it is in the Lord's hands.

We leave in less than a week for Ukraine, wow, what an adventure that awaits!

Indeed, I have pictured the time going slower being away. There are a few times in my life when time seemed to "stand still" including my marriage and honeymoon, the arrival of our first child, and I'm sure Ukraine will be another of those experiences.

Anonymous said...

Laura and Rob,
Enjoy the slow time, time out here is rushing by too fast. When I stop to think how long you've been gone, I realize how hard it must be for both of you. At the feet of the Lord is where your spirit is, but in the middle of lots of children is where you are finding yourselves daily. Adorable children. Your pictures remind me to pray for them daily too. I was riding past your developement today and got real excited about your new family.
Love and blessings to both of you and Igor too.
Fran

Anonymous said...

Dear Laura and Rob,
LOVED seeing the newest photos of you and all of the children! Just think, by the time you read this (pray, pray, pray), a week from now, the court hearing should be over, and the boys will officially be Passanitas! IJust wanted to drop in and let you know that I am continuing to lift you up in prayer each and every day. I am enjoying reading about this exciting part of your lives. God is SO good!
Love,
Colleen
PS. By the way, you guys simply must stop teasing us about this diaperhead business without a photo - I believe I speak for the other blog readers, when I say ....."Please, a photo!" I'll quitmybellyachin' now! ;-) !

Anonymous said...

You need to hurry up and come back with those 3 adorable kids!!!! It’s been to looooooooooooooooonggggggggggggggggg!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I forgot to put my name on the last comment…. It was the chili pepper =)

Unknown said...

Laura & Rob,
Your days sound full and glad you are getting your sleep in and going to the beach! How nice to have dinner with a two American couples (just like home!). Glad to hear we didn't miss anything in not getting to eat at the Potatoe House in Kharkiv. It was closed when we went. Know what you mean about passing time in Ukraine, I felt like I was in a time warp. Are the bugs as huge as they are in VA where you are? Looks like bug spray should be on the list for families traveling in warm weather!! Praying for you and the boys, glad you finally got your court date for next Tues! Love the pictures :)
Blessings,
Debbie & Dale

Anonymous said...

Dear Ones: Babushka slept 12 hrs. in Your Master Suite last night. I have Laura's cell phone - CALL ME. The dMagic Carpet zooms on Sunday/Monday all the way to Zapland. No train? Hoorah! GOD is GREAT? Prayers are wonderful. Judge: Grant us a no waiting period!!!! xxxxoooo LBYVE

Anonymous said...

He is absolutely adorable!!! Cant wait to meet them all! Dad, hurry up and get home! At least one of you have to be here for my 21st. Its only a week away! Hopefully everything will run smoothly from here on.

Love you guys,
Crystal