Friday, June 08, 2007

Thursday...Friday...Tuesday...Thursday?





























Rob Speaking)

Well I probably could have financed this entire trip had I started a court date pool. We are still up in the air. We hearing, we don't know, to it will be on Thursday. Thank you all for putting up with my "woe is me," spoiled attitude. I wouldn't say that I have totally lost my attitude, but I'm a little more carefree after talking to Sharon. She didn't have to say much, but she listens well. OH NO, I'M SOUNDING LIKE A WOMAN. I think I better get rid of my "man-bag", I think its affecting me. Hey Jim and Jean, Laura said if I kept up with the attitude she was going to make me wear the diaper head hat. That put me in my place quick, but because you asked, I'll try to get a picture of me with a diaper head. (For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, your not reading enough comments)

We are heading to Molachansk tomorrow to visit Victor. We have been having great visits with Yuri and Vanya. Both kids have Laura eating out of their hands, literally. They love to share the snacks we bring for them, even the squished M&M's, pre-moistened peanuts, and so on. Yuri is insistant that we take at least one of everything we give him, he has a very generous spirit and loves to play. Vanya has just totally wrapped Laura around his finger. As soon as he gives her a hug when we pick him up, I become invisible. Yes, I have been replaced by a man with less money, less teeth, and less hair, but he calls her Mama. I don't contribute anything close to that magnitude. He has really started to become attached to us, he just seems to have a ball with us, and he usually makes us chase the ball since he likes to kick it wherever we are not standing. That seems to be my job, chase the ball, pick him up so he can touch the roof, pretend to be a roller coaster, and anything else for his amusement. I don't mind, Vanya is very much like me, it doesn't take much to keep us amused.

We have really met some wonderful kids at Yuri's orphanage. These kids need someone to show them some attention and give them some love. We would love to find them all homes, or at least get them in some kind of exchange program. We'll post some pictures. We have one boy in particular that we would love to take ourselves. He would make such a good big brother, and he seems to be excellent with younger kids. It would make us feel so good just to see these kids be able to run around a grass yard or field instead of dirt, rocks, and broken glass. Their playground is just loaded with broken glass, beer bottles, plastic bottles, cigarette packages, and who knows what else. I would just like to bring in a bulldozer and start all over. I am amazed at the level of natural sports talent that these kids have. They pick up on things so quickly, they have a lot of natural strength, manage to do things without getting cut on all the glass. How do they do it. I wear sneakers every day and will probably get a cut on my foot before I leave.

When I take a look at their situation, its not as bad as I expected, but it is now real. Reality is far worse than expectation. Its like coming into the age of accountability, now that we know the situation, we are no longer ignorant, and therefore we are expected to do something. Where do you start?

Again we would like to thank everyone who has been commenting on our blog, sending e-mails and calling us. It is a real bright spot in our day to rush to the internet cafe, get on the computer, and check the blog. I know everyone has busy schedules, meetings, and jobs, but we wanted to say thank you for sharing some of your time with us.

Still here,
Rob and Laura

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob and Laura,
Your writtings for today said it all, now that we know the situration, where do we start. God is doing a great work on you and one that will change your life forever (in more ways than one). The boys sound wonderful, everyday I get more excited to meet them. Rob you have't mentioned your leg, how is it doing. The prayers continue.
Love, Fran and Rick

Anonymous said...

I look forward everyday to reading about the adventure. We all have a right to complain a little bit sometimes especially when we have waited for something so long. I think the picture of you Rob with the diaperhead on will look great on the big screen at church !! HA HA
As always keeping you in prayers,
Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Last night I saw what looked like your convertible speeding w/someone(Travis?) who I believe was wearing a diaper on his head. Had all the girls entertained.....
Rick

P.S. Who taught him to drive down the sidewalks like that?

Anonymous said...

Rob and Laura,
So sorry that you are experiencing delays and confusion relative to the court date! We are continuing to lift you up in prayer that everything will be taken care of quickly so that those boys will be soon officially be Passanitas :) !!! You guys take care and continue to enjoy your time together and with all of those dear children.
Blessings,
Cousin Colleen

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,

This will be our last comment for a while -- we're leaving for vacation tomorrow for a week and are not taking a computer with us -- totally vacationing. We'll keep you in our prayers. And don't worry about the "attitude." I think you've had a great sense of humor throughout all of this. Hange in there--it's so-o-o-o worth it!

Love,
Darryl & Christine and girls

Anonymous said...

Rob,

We are very much enjoying your descriptions of it all! When IS your court date?
Oh and for Laura, we taught Sophie an American phrase that may come a handy gift to Rob when a diaper isn't readily available: "quityerbellyachin'" ;) which is really cute with a Ukrainian accent. She gets to use it on her brothers frequently.
Keep on writing and we'll keep on praying! Love, Charlene and Tim