Thursday, May 31, 2007

An add-on to the one below

(Laura)
Ok I just had to add a few comments for today since there haven't been any tearjerkers lately. Here's one: I got to hear the youngest call for me today when Rob had picked him up to take him back inside. Rob said "call Mama" and he said "come on Mama" and when I turned to look at him he had a big smile on his face and that little sheepish grin he gets when he knows he looks so cute. Almost made me cry right there!
He liked the butterfly kisses I gave him today today too. He laughed when I gave one to Rob too. Then we got the "do it again" head nod so that was fun. He continues to amaze me with his understanding of our total lack of knowledge as to what he is saying. I really think he is laughing AT us and not necessarily WITH us. He has mastered unscrewing the sippy cup as trying to get anything out of it the right way is not an acquired skill here. I'm thinking straw usage falls into the same category. There is going to be a little show at his orphanage tomorrow so we are really looking forward to that. We aren't sure what it is they are celebrating but "who cares" ; we will get to see our little guy do some thing with his group. He did introduce us to 2 of his friends who managed to get away from the caregivers just long enough to get over to us before they were retreived. He pointed at them and I think called them by name but I can't be very sure. When he tells us something, it always very matter of factly so I'm guessing that would be what it was. So dskjtrewit and akfdjgerpog are his friends so he tells us.
I really enoyed our visit with the oldest one today as well. He really does know how much we don't know but he is beginning to talk more and more anyway which is great. One of his caregivers asked him something and he clammed up but still had a smile on his face so that was OK. He is very calm and gentle and even though I know he will be a great negotiator he doesn't get upset when told "nyet". I think he is warming up to me a little bit more now. I have tried to just add to what Rob is doing bit by bit. I think it is easier for him to bond with Rob because we don't think he has any recollection of his birth father. He even gave me hug today as we were leaving which is better than the stiff body treatment from the last time. Rob is awesome with him and always gets the biggest smile (Yea, I'm a little jealous but that's how it goes). He is a good sport and likes to joke around so the two make a perfect pair. He has a good sense of humor which is great also. He will miss Rob alot when he goes back after court. I think we will give him the laminated picture to keep with him and we will try to call home sometime during most visits so he can hear his voice.
Once again I was bombarded with a group of 10-12 year old girls who are just fantastic. THey know more english than I do RUssian and they get a big kick out of teaching me the "right" way to say things. THey have even tried to start helping our oldest with things like getting him a ball and taking his shoes off and they tell the other kids to be nice to him and share with him. I think they just want to show us that they could fit in too :( They all had sad faces when we had to go and they had just gotten outside and found us. We had one big group hug and they got a real giggle out of that. Vica just wanted to hold on and must have told me several times that she loves me. It makes it really hard to leave after each time. They told Igor that another 2 weeks would not be long enough and that they wanted me to stay longer. They are such nice girls and I told them I would love to take them all home with me but we would have to settle for seeing each other while I'm there. THese would be great kids to start a pen pal program with! They would love to receive mail and be able to write back and forth with "Amerrikansas".
Whoever guessed I was 29 is my new favorite person and is absolutely correct in the guess! (Ok, I know I'm imagining things, but what are numbers anyway?) Colleen, great to see your posts. Know that my mom keeps us up to date with the twins who are absolutely adorable by the way.
Thanks to all our friends back home for the prayers and comments. We appreciate them and feel uplifted and protected. We know God hears all of your prayers and has granted us favor so far with only minor issues.

We can answer the question "How great and awesome is He" when we look into the eyes of our three little miracles.

Hopefully I have now provided the tearduck cleansing that everyone needs from time to time. Love to everyone back home and especially to our older kids Travis, Mayra and Crystal. We love you guys :)
Laura and Rob

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob and Laura,
We're so happy to hear that things are moving along and that the oldest boy is beginning to warm up to you all. We'll keep praying that it all comes together like it should. Now, for Laura's age. Yes, I know exactly how old she is but like a "real" friend -- I won't tell. I do expect some Ukranian chocolate, though, for keeping it a secret. God bless you both.
Love,
Christine and Darryl

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are doing well. I'm so excited for you and excited to hear how you are falling in love with your new children. My wife and I have enjoyed reading your blog, and we look forward to following in your footsteps, so to speak, in a few weeks when we travel to Kiev (Kyiv) for our SDA appointment.

Thanks for your views and words of encouragement and your faith. Our prayers are with you as you continue your journey. Yes, it was me who guessed 29 :-)

-Another fellow PAP

Anonymous said...

Rob & Laura,
It's been awesome reading about your experiences. Our God is great, isn't He?
Small group meets this Sat nite. We'll make sure everyone is up to date and of course will continue to pray for you and your precious little boys.
Steve & Stacey

Anonymous said...

I actually DO wish I were there. You are sharing your roller coaster with everyone and I actually feel like I am on the ride. I hope your weekend is "uneventful" and I pray for your continued progress. I think you will be home in time for my party!!!! I certainly hope so!

Sharon

Unknown said...

Rob & Laura, we are enjoying your blog with all the details, humor, frustrations and joy. How the Lord has so lovingly placed these three boys into your hearts is amazing! The blog is a good journal and Dale has printed a copy of our blog along with the pictures and comments and put it in a binder for a keepsake. Our prayers are for swiftness of paperwork and a June 8 courtdate..
Blessings,
Debbie & Dale