Monday, May 28, 2007

Day of rest



Today is a holiday in Ukraine and so no one is working, except Igor! He is doing a great job of lining things up for us to get our documents to Kyiv hopefully by the Wednesday night train to arrive Thursday, be checked, and then submitted to the SDA on Friday. Then hopefully we will have a court date the following week.
Today we went to the beach as you can see by the picture. It is really odd for us to see people with open beer bottles and such on the beach. It was pretty dirty with trash all over but it was nice to have a little breeze and put our feet in the ice cold water for a brief time.
It has been nice to catch up on some reading and such but i miss being able to see the boys. We have spent more time at the internet cafe and catching up with people so that has been nice.
We have run across some very interesting things here. It seems that is not OK to smoke marijuana but it is Ok to use it for any other purpose you see fit; above is one example. Can you imagine, marijuana ice cream? We decided to pass on that little adventure but the lady thought I was crazy wanting to take a picture of her ice cream. Everything seems to be just the opposite of what we have expected. The train was nice, the bathrooms have been nice, the clothes are very expensive, the people have been friendly and many of them smile, the inspectors and directors (except one) have been extrememly efficient and quick, and the list goes on. Perhaps we are in the Ukrainian twilight zone. I think it is more like we have so many people praying for us that God has been paving the way and blessing us immensly (sp?). He also said He wouldn't give us more than we could handle so in this case it must be good to be wimpy.
It is so nice to read everyone's comments and hear from home. It really makes a difference. Even our hairsalon has posted for us and is following our journey. Thanks "What I Want" friends! I know many others are following our journey even if they don't post comments and we greatly appreciate all the prayers for the us and for the boys. It is still a long road ahead but the Lord is our strength and picks us up so we can fly like eagles. Truly there is nothing He can't do. Watching Him work is an awesome priveledge.
God Bless,
Laura and Rob

10 comments:

SuzieQ said...

I am so glad to hear all is well over there. I hope you got some form of chocolate for your anniversary Laura !! Also Rob,I thought Italians were supposed to be dark and tan !! HA HA . I pray continued favor and blessings on your wonderful journey .
Suzanne

Unknown said...

Laura & Rob, nice to see you have access to a beach and are able to relax and enjoy it! Glory to God for all the wonderful blessings you are receiving. We pray for all paperwork to move quickly this week. I am sure the boys miss you, too, and can't wait to see you! We can't wait to meet them!
Blessings,
Debbie & Dale

Unknown said...

Laura and Rob,
My wife and I recently returned from Ukraine May 6th with two new girls to add to our family. I have been interested in reading the blogs of others who are in Ukraine. I just thought I would share with you one obvious observation I have linked to every blog I have read. All these adoptive parents come from different parts of the USA. The common thread in everything I read is simply a faith in God and Jesus Christ. What a silent and wonderful work HE does while the rest of the world is focused on other matters. I certainly wish you the best in all your efforts to get back home. The adventure is just beginning.
Paul Dodge
Salt Lake City, Utah

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Laura!!! It sounds like you are enjoying this vacation and have been able to have an anniversary and a birthday in Ukriane. Hope your day is wonderful!

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, my Darling Daughter: I dialed your intl. # many times, both at 9am & 3:30pm your time. No connection..and I miss singing to you. "Our" boys may give you hugs for me and then I will get some back when I'm there (perhaps) on my B'day June 5th.CALL ME, PLEASE.
PRAYERS AND LOVE, MOM

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Laura! Great job on the anniversay Rob! I am so glad you had a day at the beach to post about, it is the only day thus far that has allowed me to read your journey without eyes full of tears. Your journey has been remarkable, God's faithfullness to you both so beautiful!
Praising God With You,
Tiffany Via

Anonymous said...

Rob and Laura,
Go easy on the marijuana ice cream now -- we don't have that back here in the states. I'm glad things are going well for you and that you were able to enjoy some relaxation. Happy Birthday, friend o' mine.
Love,
Christine (and Darryl)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Laura, happy birthday to you! Imagine a better singing voice than your brother's...Seems you are having the most memorable Bday of your young (hah!) life so far:) You're right, even those not so prolific in posting are saying prayers and following your adventures in the twilight zone. Travel safely and much love,
B

Anonymous said...

This is your "privileged" Mom requesting a short conversation by phone ASAP (Cuz that's what Mom's do best!!)The fabulous Monk-E-mail didn't send my reply. Please connect.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday and Anniversary. Wow, what an adventure you are having. Glad it is not as bad as others described. When do we get to see photos of the boys?
Much love to you.
Linda and John Williams