Friday, May 25, 2007

Who really lives in Ukraine?

(Rob writing)
Well I'm sure most of you can tell that we are finding things much different than what we had heard and imagined. The accomodations have been good, the food has been great, the orphanages have been good (for the most part, I'll explain later), even the trains and bathrooms haven't been bad, where we are.

We also heard a funny quote,'the devil lives in Ukraine". He might collect mail here, but he definitely is not the landlord. With all the favor we have received I'll give you 3 guesses who the landlord is and the first 2 don't count. (The first one to post the correct answer in a comment gets a souveneire from Ukraine). That brings me to the title of this post, who really lives in Ukraine. I have seen something that I have never seen before. It wasn't until several hours later during some time of relection that I realized what I saw. What I saw cannot be bought, may never be duplicated again, and was worth all anxiety, planning, explaining., etc........... I got to see my wife's face light up and glow brighter than the Sun, I saw a smile come over her that I never knew existed. I saw a _ _ year old woman look like a small child on Christmas morning that just received the imposible present. I wasn't able to capture this in a picture, a picture wouldn't do it justice, but that moment will be burned into my memory forever. These, once in a lifetime, moments affirm that what you are doing is God's will. When Laura had the youngest boy on a set of climbing bars and gave him a tickle and got that first laugh from him, put a smile on her face that would make heaven pause and rejoice. The most amazing thing is, I got to see it, and me alone. This is something that I wish Crystal, Travis, and Mayra could see. This is what I would love to hear from them one day, that they got to experience one of those moments.

Tomorrow is our 12th anniversary, we will post no updates tomorrow. I am trying to find a jewelry store, which is like trying to find a fast way to do things here; very difficult. I am also planning on a nice dinner and flowers, without a translator. So, don't call tomorrow, I'll be trying to impress a really beautiful woman, hubba, bubba. I will say that I wouldn't be able to pull this off without Igor,

Tuesday the 29th is Laura's birthday, and you'll notice I left out her age earlier, but I might sell that info on e-bay. Funny e-cards would be appropriate.

9 comments:

The Schweickerts said...

ABBA FATHER...GOD ALMIGHTY...
KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS...RULER OF HEAVEN AND EARTH...even the Ukraine!!!!

FYI: I love Ukrainian chocolate!


Kathie Schweickert

Unknown said...

Laura & Rob,
We're so happy that your path, although a bit windy (3 orphanages, 2 cities...)is all working out. God is so good and loving. Happy birthday, Laura, and happy anniversary to both of you! We also enjoyed our anniversary in Ukraine, a very special one you never forget.
You will have to try the chocolate, it is very good!
Blessings,
Debbie & Dale

Anonymous said...

Rob,
The way I see's it- Any place where I'm 7 hours ahead is heaven!
Very touching.. thank you for sharing these tender moments w/us. I dare to say that what you witnessed in Laura at that fleeting moment of time is the very spirit of CHRIST himself revealed, delighting in that small child with Laura, she being in HIM and CHRIST being in her.
I'm also reminded that what you witnessed in that moment the apostles and people back in Jesus's time lived with continuously! Imagine His intensity of love for us! Small wonder he attracted such crowds....

May He continue to continue in you
Rick Rahn

Anonymous said...

Well In accord with the Anniversary and birthday of my loving parents I offer them a great gift.... a clean house (with no signs of the parties I have thrown.. cough) and washed cars. love ya guys and enjoy yalls day.

What I Want Salon said...

We are watching your exciting adventure and are so happy it is going well! Happy Anniversery!
Laura hope your Birthday was Grand!
We will continue our prayers for you and Rob!

What I Want Salon

Anonymous said...

Your story gets more and more tender every day. Yesterday brought tears to my eyes, today I cried. What a gift to see God's face in the adoption process. It is all His plan, right from the beginning. Happy Anniversary
Love,
Fran

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, and Happy Birthday, Laura! Continued prayers for all good things and smooth transactions. May the Lord continue to bless you with many more tender moments and memories you will always cherish (and these three cherubs in the end!)
With much love,
Your cousin, Colleen

Anonymous said...

Dear Laura & Rob,
WOW!!! What an adventure so far. Happy Birthday Laura and Happy Anniversary to you both! We are thrilled and excited to hear your news and we look forward to more positive news in the future. We continue to pray for you both. Enjoy the journey.
Beth & Jose

Anonymous said...

Wow...thanks for your terrific and tender outpouring. Congrats on your special days! We had our anniversary there too! You are both on a mighty journey.
I'm not sure where you are staying, but we were at Hotel Ukraine in Zap., and in the large square nearby, there are some bouncy slides and little electric cars for kids to ride. In case you get to take the boys out! Also - there is a movie theater there (next to the hotel.)
Keeping you lifted up.
~ Jean & crew