Tuesday, September 18, 2007

First Day of school!







Well today was the first day of school for Yuri and Victor. They were soooo excited about going on the school bus and have talked about it for weeks. We had a fantastic morning as I got to wake them each up individually. First Yuri, then Victor, ad finally my little sleepy head Vanya. Yuri's first words as he got up out of his bed were "Yuri koolbus yes?" followed by a great big toothless smile. We went downstairs where mama had made a special pancake with strawberry eyes and nose and a whipped cream smile. That was a big hit. Then we brushed teeth and got dressed in our best school clothes, spiked our hair, and put the lunch box in the backpack and snapped a few pictures. Then it was Victors turn for the same. He is a little more difficult to wake up but you get a great big hug and he holds on tight as we go downstairs. He ate up his pancake in a flash (as usual with his cheeks full) and when he had actually finished chewing and swallowing we brushed teeth and got dressed. His favorite shirt is the one Babushka got him with the turtles on it so we made sure that was his outfit for today. I know babushka would be happy to see he likes that one best.


The best stop was full of well dressed happy little people this morning. Our bus stop has about 30 kids so we met some new neighbors as well. There were about 9 kindergartners and they get to sit in the front of the bus so our little guys got to go first. They thought that was great of course. A little anxiousness but no tears and no clingyness so I was pretty proud of them. Lots of questions about making sure they were coming home but they were excited to go. We'll see how the rest of the day goes. I'll have to add that part later. So we waved goodbye and wished them a good day. Now I must trust that the Lord will watch out for them and comfort them throughout their day.


So for now it's just me and the noochka (Vanya's nickname) They used to call him Vanuschka in Ukraine sometimes so we called him that periodically then shortened it to noochka. He is loving all the attention but has asked about his brothers several times already and they have only been gone for about an hour.


More later on the rest of the day.


They made it! They returned from school with smiles on their faces! And mama didn't receive any calls from the school the whole day. I'm hoping that trend will continue. I did miss them all day however I also enjoyed some one on one time with Vanya. I think he missed them too but was more than happy to stay with mama and wave goodbye to them this morning. We had a very calm but fun day together and were both excited when it came time to go meet the bus.
It was a very different feeling putting them on the bus. Much more calm and peaceful than I had thought it would be. The Lord must be doing a work in all of us to make that transition so smooth. They have had meltdowns over things like putting their socks on or washing their hands yet getting up, eating, and getting dressed then going on a school bus and spending the day away from home for the first time seemed to be no problem at all. Go figure. I am extremely blessed and very proud of my boys. I will still pray for the balance of the week though. You know what they say, "Trust in the Lord but lock your car".
Mama Mama Mama


4 comments:

Tami said...

I'm convinced this is one of the hardest things about being a mom...watching your little ones go off to school for the first time! We'll be thinking of you today, Mom. I hope everything goes well.

Diana said...

I hope the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th days all go equally as well for you...and next week, too. If you make it through those, you're on your way! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I missed it!!! *tear* *tear*!

Anonymous said...

oops... forgot to post my name on the last comment
Mayra!